Tuesday, August 31, 2010

The first day of school



I'm in room 115 and am attempting to make this room ready for my students.Today is the last day before they come in.

Why does it always seem, at this time of year, like I've never taught? Will it be o.k.?

My husband, Joe, says, "It's like getting on a bike. You'll know what to do. Once you see the kids, it'll be fine."

And I know he's dead right. It happens every year and it's a great thing about this profession. We get to see those fresh young faces coming into our rooms, ready to make learning happen. A new community will be formed. The students will learn Spanish and I'll have the opportunity to get to know and learn from them.

The kids will assess my success and will certainly let me know when I am striking out.

"Awwwwwwwwwww..............no, not that!" "Ay, Maestra, no vamos a hacer eso..."

I've been touring the state for 8 months and now, that part of my Teacher of the Year job is over. I still have responsibilities and conferences in Princeton and New York and I won't pass my "crown" till October 6th, but coming back into the classroom is a dramatic change.

My colleagues were fabulously welcoming and the administrators did a great job of sharing the fruits of their summer of preparation. We ate some donated sandwiches and shared summer stories.

I resisted the chocolate chip cookies, but now I'm sorry. Wish I had one right now.

I'm excited about my classroom and students. It's waiting for them and for that magic chemistry to happen once again. Who will they be? How will I change as a result of knowing them?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And you get that one student (named Lukas) who really really hates doing oral presentations.